Saturday 2 August 2014

#SuperstitionSaturday - Magpies - whats it all about??!!.When I see a lone Magie I always make sure someone else sees it and say" Good morning Mr Blackbird" - Am I right to do this??
The Rhyme goes...
1 for sorrow ,2 for joy,3 for a girl and 4 for a boy,5 for silver, 6 for gold, 7 for a secret never to be told!!
In the 18th century it used to be....
1 for sorrow, 2 for mirth, 3 for a wedding 4 for a death!!
Before the 18th Century though the meaning was different again.
If a Magpie was squawking noisily in a tree - Beware of an approaching stranger. If it was circling your house - someone might die in that household and also if you saw a magpie on the way to church - again DEATH!!! My My Mr Magpie -truly a worrying bird.
So people got accustomed to, on seeing a Magpie, to dob their hats/caps, bow to it and say this rhyme....
I cross the Magpie , The Magpie crosses me, Bad Luck to the Magpie and Good luck to me.
The Magpies sinister connections are even mentioned in the bible It was said that it was the only creature who refused to go in Noahs arc and instead perched on the roof - it was also believed that it was the illicit offspring from a dove and a raven - therefor not blessed in the eyes of GOD!!!
So guys - what is the conclusion??!!!! Are we still worried about how many? or if they are even worth worrying about??The story has changed so much over the centuries -I think the poor Magpie needs a break - except for the fat that it does steal baby birds and eggs from other birds nests - I've seen this with my own eyes. Comments please...

No comments:

Post a Comment